Director at One Kind
Edinburgh (with travel)
Closing date for applications:
Thursday 12th July
Circa £40,000 plus 5% pension contribution.
Friday 20th July / 2nd Stage TBC
Hours of work:
Full-time with occasional weekend and evening events.
The Chair of the Trustees
The OneKind team
OneKind is Scotland’s voice for animals. Our aim is to expose and end cruelty through high-quality, impactful and innovative research, advocacy and campaigns.
We’re a small charity with a big impact. Last year our successes included a ban on the snaring of mountain hares, exposing the scale of commercial hare hunting, ending the use of wild animals in circuses and the use of electric shock collars on dogs, and securing a commitment to consult on the introduction of mandatory CCTV in slaughterhouses in Scotland. You can find out more about our research, investigations and campaigns at www.onekind.scot.
Over the past three years OneKind has been on a journey. In 2016 we rebranded and focused the charity on a new mission statement: “ending cruelty to Scotland’s animals”. We also commenced a strategic initiative to build public support for OneKind and to transition away from legacy dependency towards individual giving. This included launching membership in May 2017. Since then our profile, impact and supporter base have grown significantly. Our membership has reached 1300, we have approximately 26,000 active supporters, and fundraising income has grown by approximately 30% each year. We aim to continue and even accelerate this growth over the coming years beyond so that we can continue to invest more into our core work.
OneKind was founded in 1911 to advance animal welfare, the protection of animals from cruelty and the prevention of animal suffering.
Our vision is for people to live in harmony with animals, ending cruelty in Scotland and working with others to deliver better animal welfare across the UK and globally. We achieve this by giving animals a voice through campaigning and lobbying for laws that will protect animals forever, and by inspiring people to make changes in their lives to reduce their negative impact on animals.
OneKind works in the mainstream of the animal protection movement to deliver positive change for animals in Scotland, and, through working with others, across the UK, Europe and beyond. We have decades of experience in helping to shape the legislative and cultural landscapes through high-profile campaigns, political lobbying, investigations and public education. We take a practical, evidence-based approach to understanding and developing solutions to animal welfare problems.
As Director you will lead the OneKind team, developing and delivering high-profile and impactful campaigns and research, and continuing to grow support and fundraising income for OneKind. Reporting to and working with the Board of Trustees, you will ensure OneKind meets the highest standards of governance and provide the staff team and volunteers with an inspiring and supportive working environment.
Key Objectives of the job:
- Provide strategic vision and leadership for OneKind, within the direction agreed with the Board of Trustees;
- Ensure that the charitable purposes of OneKind are followed;
- Take overall responsibility for OneKind’s management and administration within the governance and accountability frameworks agreed with the Board of Trustees;
- Ensure that the Board receives advice, recommendations and information in an effective, thorough and timely manner.
Staff Management and Leadership:
- Manage the OneKind team and ensure it is a well-run organisation where colleagues feel valued and able to work effectively.
- Support the development of colleagues so that they are better able to do their job
- Liaise with volunteers, inspiring them to grow their engagement with OneKind.
- Support the Fundraising and Communications Manager in developing and delivering the fundraising strategy.
- Ensure fundraising and membership targets are met, and report to the Trustees on progress.
- Contribute to the delivery of fundraising projects, initiatives and communications.
Campaigns, research and investigations:
- Identify campaign priorities and work with the Campaigner to develop and deliver campaign strategies
- Contribute to the delivery of campaign communications, including social media content blogs, briefing notes, reports, etc.
- Ensure the media profile of OneKind continues to grow through producing press releases and, for example, building relationships with journalists.
- Commission and oversee the delivery of research and investigative projects.
Communication and representation:
- Represent OneKind to external stakeholders, Scottish Government, politicians, etc., including at the highest level, e.g. meetings with Ministers.
- Represent Onekind in interviews with the media
- Develop an extensive network and leverage this in support of OneKind’s fundraising and campaign objectives.
- Commitment to the aims and ethos of OneKind
- Good leadership skills and the ability to enthuse, motivate and develop a small team to deliver results;
- A proven track record in developing and delivering campaigns
- An understanding of key animal welfare and/or conservation issues, policy and legislation;
- Experience in financial management and budget development skills;
- Ability to think strategically and to communicate the strategic vision;
- Excellent all-round communication skills and relationship management abilities;
- Personal drive, energy, integrity, adaptability and responsibility.
- Experience in dealing with and influencing the Scottish Parliament and decision-making processes in Scotland
- Experience in fundraising, ideally individual giving.
APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
Applicants must apply for this position by 12th July 2018. Interviews will take place July 20th 2018. Please click on the button below and fill out your details…