Head of Fundraising at ELHF
Reporting into: Foundation Director
Closing Date: Monday 18th February 2019, 12 noon
1st/2nd stages: w/c 4th March 2019
The Edinburgh and Lothians Health Foundation aims to improve the physical and mental health of the people of Scotland, in particular Edinburgh and the Lothians. It provides funding and makes grants to support projects and initiatives not normally funded by the health service.
The Edinburgh and Lothians Health Foundation was founded on two things: the benevolence of Edinburgh society, and the ongoing support of generations of patients and their carers, to the work of the hospitals.
Various reorganisations of the NHS in Scotland, including the separation from the NHS in England and Wales in 1978 and the most recent reorganisation and establishment of the fourteen regional Scottish Health Boards has affected the administration of the endowments, but their charitable object, “the advancement of health” has remained constant. The Foundation was registered as a charity in 1992.
Thank you for your interest in bringing your talent and skills to the Edinburgh and Lothians Health Foundation, one of Scotland’s largest charities.
The Foundation works in strategic partnership with NHS Lothian and other partners who share our vision and values to make a difference to people’s health and wellbeing on a local, regional and national level. In 2017/18 we invested £14.201m in charitable expenditure, from net assets of £76.757m. It was an exceptional year for the Foundation, including an anonymous single donation of £11m and a residual estate of £0.756m.
The Foundation is embarking on an exciting new chapter, on its transformational journey from endowment fund and silent partner to NHS Lothian, to an acknowledged major investor in improved health and wellbeing across Edinburgh and the Lothians, a beacon of good governance, to developing a capital campaign in support of the new Edinburgh Cancer Centre and enabling fundraising more broadly across the hospitals, services and communities of NHS Lothian.
In order to realise our ambitions, we need two exceptional individuals to join the team. The Head of Finance is responsible for effective strategic and operational planning, monitoring and delivery of the Foundation’s financial systems. The Head of Fundraising will provide strategic leadership and vision to fundraising for the Foundation and NHS Lothian, with the objective of achieving a step-change in the fundraising culture, achieving significant increase in income.
If you would like to discuss this opportunity further please contact Alan Surgeon on [email protected] or call on 0131 344 4646.
Edinburgh & Lothian Health Foundation
- Provide strategic leadership and vision to fundraising for the Foundation and NHS Lothian, with the objective of achieving a step-change in the fundraising culture, achieving significant increase in income.
- To be responsible for the effective development and delivery of a bold fundraising and development strategy, building the fundraising capacity to achieving stretch targets in all aspects of income generation.
- Develop and direct an appropriately skilled staff resource, and provide support and effective management of the fundraising team to deliver performance benchmarks and income targets.
- Create a supportive and philanthropic culture where none currently exists across a complex and large organisation, significantly increasing the Foundation’s profile and creating an environment in which charitable support of the Foundation toward NHS Lothian becomes normalized.
- Educated to degree standard or equivalent professional experience.
- MBA or other relevant professional qualification or equivalent levels of experience.
- Externally accredited qualification such as MInstF (Dip) or (Cert) or equivalent.
- Substantial senior management experience in leading fundraising, with a track record in significantly increasing income.
- Significant experience in major campaign development and management, and experience in the delivery of a diverse range of income generation / modern fundraising and consumer marketing activities.
- Demonstrable success in the setting and management of budgets and achieving fundraising targets.
- Experience in recruiting major donors and soliciting gifts of six figures and above.
- Significant experience in fundraising marketing and PR, developing and promoting charity brands, media handling and communications.
- Experience of recruiting and managing staff teams, and working with volunteer fundraisers.
- Strong leadership and management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent report writing skills (specifically Case Statements, Case for Support).
- Strong organisational skills to ensure competing priorities are achieved to agreed timescales.
- Good IT skills.